October 29, 2010

Product Review: Olay Age Defying Daily Renewal Cleanser


Olay Age Defying Daily Renewal Cleanser is one of those diamond in the rough products that don't get enough love.  A lot of companies will market their cleansers as THE magical cleaning elixir but I don't agree that it's one way or the high way.  I believe you can find great cleansers for a fraction of the cost.

My bottle of cleanser is 6.78 fl oz and I got it for less than $4.00 USD.  It has beta hydroxy complex with gentle microbeads to reveal fresher, radiant skin.  It claims the following:

- Cleanses by gently lifting away dirt, oil and make-up
- Renews and reveals by gently lifting away dull, dry skin to start reducing the signs of aging. Leaves skin noticeably soft and smooth the minute you cleanse.

My first thoughts upon using this product were 1) this doesn't lather at all!, 2) smells nice, like the old-school Oil of Olay lotions (from the 1980s) that didn't contain SPF, and 3) the microbeads are doing their job nicely!

Let's work this review by claims.

Cleansing
Yes, in my experience, this product is just as good a cleanser as any Shiseido, Purpose or Neutrogena cleanser.  It doesn't foam or lather because it's a cream cleanser designed to not strip the skin of its natural oils.  I use one pump of this product at the beginning of my shower to remove makeup, dirt, oil, and other impurities.  I use a second pump at the end to make sure that I've removed any residues.  I've done the toner-on-a-cotton-pad test and have been satisfied that my face is clean.  My favorite way to use this product is as a massage cream that happens to cleanse and exfoliate.

Renews and Reveals
I'm sure this part is talking about the microbeads.  The microbeads in this product reminds me of the micro particles in the St. Ives Timeless Skin Daily Microderm Abrasion, except not as densely packed.  The microbeads in the Olay product provide a good enough daily exfoliation to boost the efficacy of a once-a-week deeper exfoliation.  I'm not so sure if this can take the credit for reducing the signs of aging because I have other products in my regimen that also target anti-aging.  Therefore, take the anti-aging part with a grain of salt.  The combination of the exfoliating beads and the cream cleanser work to leave my skin feeling smooth and soft by the end of my shower.

Bonus
This product has 16 ingredients and salicylic acid is the 6th ingredient.  I'm pretty confident that this is just a bonus for skin savvy people and that the product is not intended to be marketed as an acne control facial cleanser.  However, the salicylic acid can't hurt, right?

When I first started using this product I really was disappointed with the lathering aspect.  However, after using it for a couple more weeks, I've changed my mind about its performance.  It is just as good a cleanser as any of the Shiseido, Purpose, and Neutrogena cleansers I've used.

So, now, the loyalty test.  Would I repurchase this?  Yes, definitely!

--

Kus


"Smile on!"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...