August 01, 2010

Product Review: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55


For more information on this product, please visit the Neutrogena website here.  

This product is stabilized with Helioplex to provide superior balanced broad-spectrum protection against skin-aging UVA and burning UVB rays.  It is combined with Dry Touch technology for an ultra-light, non-shiny finish.  It is sweatproof, waterproof, and resists rubbing off.  It is non-comedogenic and is oil-free and PABA free.  This can be used on the face and body.

I bought this product in May because I was essentially tired of the DDF mattifying moisturizer with SPF 15, and I wanted some more protection on my face.

My first impressions of this product are the following:

1.  SPF 55 that protects against UVA and UVB rays is GREAT!  I wish all skincare product that say "day moisturizer" have the option for such high SPF for optimal protection, especially in regions where the sun seems too close to Earth for comfort.  It's been hovering around 100 degrees here for the past 2-3 months, and August is supposed to be even hotter!

2.  The smell of this product is not the best for me.  It says it has a light pleasant smell, which is true, but it also has that undertone of sunblock smell.  I don't think there is a way to get around it if it is a sunblock.

3.  This comes out of the tube with almost a cream consistency.  This fluid does not have the consistency of anything remotely liquid, it keeps its form after being squeezed out of the tube.  Therefore blending it into your skin is not easy.  I have to use force to rub this in so that all the product is evenly distributed, which means there is a lot of tugging on my face and neck - not good, not good a'tall.

4.  This product DOES absorb into your skin and dry to a powdery consistency.  Or if not powdery, it does not leave your face sticky or greasy.  However, this does not leave my face non-shiny.  I think it's just the texture of my skin that is very light-reflective.  But to achieve this smooth, non-sticky result, it really depends on the amount of sunblock you use.  If you use too much your skin will feel a little sticky.  If you use too little you have a much tougher time of blending it in but your skin will feel smooth.

5.  This product says its dermatologist recommended, but we already know that this statement isn't regulated in the United States, and that ONE dermatologist is enough to qualify for the statement "dermatologist recommended."  Use what works for your skin!!!

6.  This product says it is gentle enough for sensitive skin.  This is where my opinion of this product is at make-or-break.  I used it for a few days before Mr. P and his mom came to visit in May.  I didn't have a problem with this until the second day of Mr. P's visit.  When I put this product on, as I did the previous day and the days prior, this product started stinging the skin around my eyes.  Specifically, the skin on my right temple, upper right cheek, and outer corner of my right eye.  I thought that maybe I had scrubbed too hard with my St. Ives microderm abrasion, but it wouldn't make sense that it didn't sting the previous morning.  In June, I started noticing a dry patch where the stinging had taken place.  I must be an idiot because I did not stop using the product, but I did put much less product in that area.  I supplemented with bareMinerals foundation which have SPF 15.

I have since purchased an Olay day moisturizer with SPF 15 formulated for sensitive skin and that seems to take care of some of the stinging.  Yesterday, I tried the Neutrogena Dry-Touch Sunblock again, and my eyes started watering from the stinging in the same spot.  Now when I look closely at the skin on the outer corner of my right eye and on my upper cheek, I can see small little bumps, like the skin is thickening.  It is causing me great concern!

So, my review of the product ends here.  It is great because it gives me peace of mind that my skin is being protected from harmful UVA/UVB rays, but my skin is having some sort of reaction to it.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...