March 03, 2011

Product Review: Shu Uemura High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Fresh


Shu Uemura website linked, click on picture.
 This particular cleansing oil is for normal to oily skin types and is a lightweight cleansing oil that leaves the skin clean, fresh and refined. Ideal for normal to oily skin types and acne-prone skin

Benefits
Cherry extract - refines skin texture by smoothing skin surface and helps brings radiance
Fresh aroma - sakura, grapefruit, lily
Depsea water - found in sea waters below 200 meters, it naturally provides moisture to the skin, and helps enhance skin transparency and improve skin quality

How to use
Spread 2 pumps of oil over dry face with dry hands.
Add a few drops of water to emulsify, massage face.
Rinse off with lukewarm water.

*Product reviews are 100% my opinion and based on my experiences*

Lightweight cleansing oil
In relative terms of weight, the Shu Uemura cleansing oil feels lighter on my skin than regular jojoba oil.  It has a very pleasant and luxurious scent that doesn't overwhelm you like you'd get with some St. Ives products.  However, after emulsifying, I feel like the lightweightedness works against it as it doesn't completely remove all my makeup (tested with toner & cotton pad)

Leaves skin fresh and refined
The pyschological effects of the scent make me want to feel fresh.  Realistically, this product leaves behind an oily residue, even after multiple rinsings.

Ideal for normal/oily skin types and acne-prone skin
I would disagree that this product is good for oily skin types as it seems to add more oil.  Additionally, I've noticed more cystic breakouts since using this product.  Would it make sense to say I believe this is the culprit?  Open pores, greasy residue that doesn't rinse off, too lightweight to remove all my makeup, a bad combination that makes for clogged pores.

Provides moisture to skin
The greasy feeling I get after using this product should not count as moisture.

Enhance skin transparency
I don't notice any new radiance, glow, or transparency.

Bottom line
I think I'll give this to my brother and see if it works better for him.  I don't want to say anything bad about Shu Uemura, but I don't think this product is working for me.  I've tried using it once, twice, dry and wet, but when I put it to the test, I always see makeup residue on my toner-soaked cotton pad.  And since using this product, I've been getting cystic acne breakouts that really hurt!  These are the worst for me because they leave scars for months and years.  The bottom line, I get a cleaner face using jojoba oil and a hot damp towel, which costs 2/3 less than the SU cleansing oil

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...